Sunday, December 11, 2011

Puncture - 2011 - Chris Evans, Mark Kassen, Vanessa Shaw

My Rating: 6 out of 10

Summary from IMDB: A David and Goliath law drama about a drug-addicted lawyer who takes on a health supply corporation while battling his own personal demons.

My Review: Okay, I started writing this review giving the movie a 7 out of 10 and then as I was typing, revised down the rating as I remembered things from the movie that didn't sit well with me. But overall, this one surprised me. Chris Evans as an action hero? Yes, and his biceps dare you to say otherwise. Chris Evans as a lawyer? Well, it wouldn't be my first idea as a career for him should acting fall through BUT this move surprised me with how well it played out. Granted the story line would have probably been better suited for an episode of Law & Order but Evans gave a convincing performance as a drug-addicted-but-trying-to-do-the-right-thing-at-work lawyer. I believed him and believed in him and the cause for which he was fighting. What annoyed me about the movie was the scene with his wife leaving him... what, he was married? Then *spoiler alert* suddenly he ends up dead at the end of the movie. I guess it is shocking when someone dies suddenly but the way it was done in this movie was very anti-climatic and honestly, I don't remember how they wrapped it up after that. At the very least, see this movie for Evan's shirtless scenes. SceneS. Plural.

Bottom Line: I'd pay $2 at the cheap theater.




Carnage - 2011 - Kate Winslet, Jodie Foster, Christoph Waltz, John C. Reilly

My Rating: 7.5 out of 10

Summary from IMDB: Tells the story of two sets of parents who decide to have a cordial meeting after their sons are involved in a schoolyard brawl.

My Review: When a movie is able to keep my interest while the entirety of it takes place in one apartment and with only four characters, you know they're doing something very right. How can you go wrong with Jodie Foster and Kate Winslet? Answer: you can't. These four actors work amazingly together and you feel every moment of uncomfortable as these two sets of parents attempt to work out what happened between their sons. Christoph Waltz and Kate Winslet are perfect as the high-strung parents who work too much while Jodie Foster and John C. Reilly are perfect as the perfect parents. Reilly also injects most of the humor into this film but the biggest laugh actually comes from Winslet when she makes a mess of Foster's perfect table setup. It's awkward, it's funny, it's uncomfortable - it's a good time.

Bottom Line: I would pay $10 at the theater to see this one.




Hereafter - 2010 - Matt Damon, Cecile De France, Bryce Dallas Howard

My Rating: 2 out of 10

Summary from IMDB: A drama centered on three people -- a blue-collar American, a French journalist and a London school boy -- who are touched by death in different ways.

My Review: Zzzzzzzzzzzzz... huh, what? Oh, I'm supposed to be writi... zzzzzzzz... ng a review? Sorry, thinking about this movie again puts me to zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. You can do better Matt Damon.

Bottom Line: I'm sorry to have payed 100 yen ($1.26) to see this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment