Friday, July 8, 2011

Summer Movies

So far this summer I've just seen 6 movies... Because I've delayed writing the reviews for so long, these will be pretty short and just written about what I remember. But let's be honest - if I don't remember much it's probably because there isn't much great to remember.



Super 8 - Elle Fanning, Amanda Michalka, Kyle Chandler - 2011

My Rating: 5 out of 10

Summary from IMDB: After witnessing a mysterious train crash, a group of friends in the summer of 1979 begin noticing strange happenings going around in their small town, and begin to investigate into the creepy phenomenon.

My Review: I remember thinking during this movie that it was as if J. J. Abrams couldn't decide which type of movie he wanted this to be: sci-fi monster movie, government conspiracy movie, character development between the kids movie... ? Then apparently he decided to go with an uneven conglomeration of all three. After the scenes with the train crash and the kids decide to never talk about it again... they don't. The movie forgets about the "monster" that crawls out of the train for a good chunk of time - I even forgot what the movie was supposed to be doing. The movie failed to elicit any kind of real suspense or building of the story line and only succeeded in making me jump a few times with cheap "BOO!" moments. Watching the relationships among the young characters is what makes this movie worth it - these young actors are outstanding. Unfortunately, just as I was hoping would not happen when I wrote my previous "looking forward to" review, Abrams decides to show you way too much of the alien in the end. Plus, it's not even an original looking alien with far too many resemblances to 1987's Predator. I get that part of the reason they give you good long looks at the alien at the end is so that you can begin to feel some empathy and understand his position and understand that you don't have to be scared anymore... but the change of perspective wasn't good enough.

Bottom Line: I wish I hadn't paid $9 for this one but I'd pay $2 at the cheap theater.



The Lincoln Lawyer - Matthew McConaughey, Marisa Tomei, Ryan Phillippe - 2011

My Rating: 4.5 out of 10

Summary from IMDB: A lawyer conducts business from the back of his Lincoln town car while representing a high-profile client in Beverly Hills.

My Review: I didn't go in to this movie with high hopes - McConaughey as a lawyer? Come on. But I gave it a shot anyway and really only wish I hadn't seen the matinee showing with the three retirement communities that apparently decided to see the same movie at the same time. There isn't much I remember or need to say about this movie except it would have been better as an episode of Law and Order. Yawn.

Bottom Line: I'd watch it on TV if I didn't have anything else to do.



Soul Surfer - AnnaSophia Robb, Dennis Quaid, Helen Hunt

My Rating: 6 out of 10

Summary from IMDB: A teenage surfer girl summons the courage to go back into the ocean after losing an arm in a shark attack.

My Review: This was a great movie about the courage of a young girl. It was a little syrupy for me but I hope that this girl and her family were exactly as portrayed: a strong Christian family that got through (and might have been better for) a horrible accident.

Bottom Line: I'm glad I (well, my mom) payed $2 at the cheap theater for this one.




Still to come: Water for Elephants, Transformers: Dark of the Moon, and Bridesmaids

No comments:

Post a Comment